Ask MO Anything: Replacing Rubber Intake Manifolds

By bikersreportnewsfeeds on
Thumbnail for 2072334

By John Burns

Dear MOby,

The carb inlet rubbers on my FZS600 are cracked and have been for some time. I’m thinking of trying to change them myself. I do the usual servicing on the bike, however this looks a lot more difficult. Do you have any advice on the best way of doing this?

Joe French
Somewhere European

Dear Joe,

It looks a lot more difficult because it is. I’ve never attempted this on a Yamaha FZ6S, as I don’t think they were even imported to the US. But I certainly recognize the type. One of my first bikes was an early ’80s Suzuki GS550M, and my early efforts to tune it to a standstill included constant fiddling with its carburetors, which meant completely removing the whole bank of four repeatedly. Once the carbs are out (once you’ve done it a few times, it’s not nearly as bad as it looks), it’s a really simple matter to unbolt those rubber manifolds and replace them.

Just as with your Yamaha, it would appear to be impossible to get the carbs out, as they’re wedged between the engine in front and the airbox (which is wedged against two steel frame tubes) behind. It really is doable, though: Unlike some exotic European brands, the Japanese wouldn’t dream of building a bike you couldn’t service without completely disassembling it.

Apparently you haven’t got a manual or you wouldn’t be writing MO, which is only fitting since when I had the Suzuki, I didn’t know there was such a thing as a manual, and if I had known, $40.95 would’ve been unthinkable. In the age of the internet, though, the $14.95 Haynes wants for the online version is probably well worth the investment.

Basically, the fact that the carburetors are mounted in rubber manifolds from …read more

Source:: Ask MO Anything: Replacing Rubber Intake Manifolds


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *